BIG-5 Free means Bio Seaweed Gel polishes are free of the 5 health damaging chemicals that are often found in other brands in the polish industry.
These 5 products are:
- Formaldehyde: Formaldehyde is used to harden and strengthen nail polishes, also serving as a preservative that protects against bacterial growth. Formaldehyde can cause skin, eye, nose and throat irritation. High levels of exposure can cause certain types of cancer.
- Toluene: Toluene is known to be part of the so-called "toxic trio" of dangerous chemicals found in polishes (including formaldehyde and DBP) that give polishes a hard finish. Exposure to toluene can cause eye and nose irritation, confusion, euphoria, dizziness, headache, dilated pupils, skin inflammation, and liver and kidney damage. Products containing toluene can produce dangerous fumes which can also cause nausea and unconsciousness.
- DBP: Dibutyl phthalate (DBP) is primarily used in nail products as a solvent for dyes and as a plasticizer that prevents polishes from becoming brittle. The controversial family of ingredients are phthalates, which have been implicated as endocrine disruptors and linked to endocrine system problems and increased risk of diabetes.
- BHA: BHA is primarily used as an antioxidant and preservative and is considered a carcinogen that can promote tumor growth and impair blood clotting. They have been, BHA as well as BHT, banned in Canada, Japan, Europe, Australia and New Zealand.
- Camphor: Camphor is often used as a plasticizer, which helps the polish stick to your nails. It also prevents chipping. Prolonged and excessive exposure to vapors can cause nausea, dizziness, headaches and disorientation, making it of particular concern for technicians nails. Apart from nail care, it has been used by insect hobbyists to preserve specimens.
All Bio Seaweed Gel polishes are certified cruelty-free and vegan. They are also enriched with vitamins and minerals to ensure healthy nails.